As a family we love to eat all kinds of vegetables and this particular recipe has become one of our favourite ways of cooking them. We choose as many brightly coloured vegetables as we can find and they provide a great boost to everyone’s vegetable intake! The addition of a salmon fillet per person makes this dish into a meal suitable for all the family. It’s straightforward to prepare so is a useful supper if you’ve had a busy day at work. If need be you could prepare the vegetables beforehand.
The quantity of vegetables you prepare will depend on how many people you are serving. Choose as many as you can from this selection:
- courgettes – green, or yellow if you can find them
- sweet red and yellow peppers
- spinach leaves, beet leaves or chard
- lots of juicy red tomatoes – these help to provide moisture for the cooking of the other vegetables
- small broccoli florets
- sweet potato – peeled and cut into small dice
- butternut squash – peeled and cut into small dice
- sliced red onion
You will also need some extra virgin olive oil, which has a lovely fruity flavour, and a handful of basil leaves. If you like the heat of chilli you could also add some of this.
- preheat the oven to 200°C
- scatter the spinach leaves/beet leaves/chard over the base of a large oven proof dish
- chop the other vegetables into fairly uniformly sized pieces and add them to the dish
- tear the basil leaves and scatter them over the vegetables
- if you are using chilli, add it to the dish at this stage
- pour a generous glug or two of olive oil all over the vegetables
- use your hands (or two spoons if you must!) to combine the vegetables and oil
- place the dish into the preheated oven and roast the vegetables for 40 minutes, giving them another mix half way through the cooking time if you remember
- after the vegetables have cooked for 40 minutes, remove the dish from the oven and place the salmon fillets on top of the vegetables, adding a pinch of sea salt and a grind of black pepper to the surface of the fish
- return the dish to the oven and cook the salmon and vegetables for a further 10 – 15 minutes
We like this dish served with couscous, and a dollop of hummus, but as an alternative you could use rice, creamed potato or jacket potatoes. Whichever you choose, I’m confident that this dish will become a favourite!
healthy and delicious like the author
LikeLiked by 1 person