When my daughter Lucy started cookery lessons at secondary school the first thing she made was brown soda bread. It was delicious and we were so impressed! This recipe is my version of that original, with a few tweaks….
To make a 1 lb loaf you will need:
200g of wholemeal self raising flour
150g of white self raising flour
25g of wheat bran
50g of butter
25g of mixed seeds
2 teaspoons of caster sugar
½ teaspoon of salt
1 large egg
350mls of buttermilk
- preheat the oven to 180°C
- well grease a 1lb loaf tin
- rub the butter into the flours and then add the bran, seeds, sugar and salt. Mix everything together
- beat the egg into the buttermilk
- make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and pour in the egg and buttermilk
- using a wooden spoon, beat everything together well
- spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and sprinkle a few rolled oats on the surface for a finishing touch!
- bake the bread for 1 hour, then remove it from it’s tin and bake it for a further 10 minutes
- leave the bread on a wire rack to cool if you can!
This bread is a good accompaniment to a bowl of soup!