This quick and easy bread recipe is a family favourite and is especially delicious served with cheese!
You will need:
- a 1lb loaf tin, well greased
- 450g of coarse wholemeal flour
- 2 level teaspoons of bicarbonate of soda
- 25g of pinhead oatmeal
- 2 tablespoons of Demerara sugar
- 50g of butter
- 1 tablespoon of treacle
- 400mls of stout
- preheat the oven to 180°C
- rub the butter into the flour and then stir in the sugar, oatmeal and bicarbonate of soda
- dissolve the treacle in the stout
- make a well in the middle of the flour mixture and pour the stout and treacle into this
- using a wooden spoon, beat everything together until blended – the consistency of the mixture should be like wet sand!
6. pour the mixture into the prepared tin, sprinkle a few rolled oats onto the surface and bake for about 50 minutes
7. remove the bread from the tin and return it to the oven for another 5 minutes
8. leave the bread on a wire rack to cool if possible before tucking in!